Friday, May 8, 2009

The Amateur Gourmet on Steaks

Like the Amateur Gourmet I cannot cook a steak to save my life. It's been an on going debacle in my kitchen, one that has me permanently scarred when it comes to cooking beef. The tough thing is that beef keeps cooking when it comes out of the oven, so it's tough to tell when it's ready vs being too early or too late.

However the Amateur Gourmet has saved the day by sharing tips from the brilliant Chris Lim over at BLT. I haven't tried this yet, but I full intend to follow these instructions the next time I am feeling adventurous.



I think the tip I am going to use the most is when Chef Lim explains how to tell when a steak is done by feel. I know you are supposed to be able to do this, but I had never heard the bit about the meaty portion of you hand at the base of your thumb. Brilliant!

No comments: