Tuesday, June 3, 2008

World BEST Homemade BBQ Sauce!

I have always been a firm believer that fresh and homemade is always better that store bought. Even so, as I have been cooking more and more over the last couple of years, I am still continually amazed at how this holds true for some of the simplest things. Some quick examples:

Garlic – Fresh diced garlic is 100% better than garlic powder or jarred garlic in oil
Ginger – Don’t bother having ginger in a jar, just go for it fresh and grated and it's got great flavor
Teriyaki Sauce – I’ll share this at some point, I made it homemade once, and threw out all the bottles of it from my fridge
Basil – I am sure you know this already, it’s like Taste 101
Fresh Ground Pepper – probably the simplest

I have decided this summer, to continue this theory on the condiments that everyone eats by the gallon while they grill. So on Friday, I made up some homepage BBQ sauce for our housewarming party. Everyone I have told about this has asked what’s in it, and the only quick answer is “some of every bottle in your pantry.” Even so, the recipe is quick and easy and makes the whole apartment smell amazing. It has also WOWs everyone who tries it and is so amazing that JR and I have grilled hamburgers and hotdogs every night since, just so we can eat more.

The recipe comes from SmittenKitchen and before her from Ina Garten. Make it tonight and buy lots of meat so you are prepared to keep eating it all week.


Homemade BBQ Sauce
Makes 3 cups

3/4 cups chopped yellow onion
1 T. minced garlic (3 cloves)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup tomato paste (10 ounces)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 T. chili powder
1/2 T. ground cumin
1/2 T. crushed red pepper flakes

In a large saucepan on low heat, sauté the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Eat immediately.

3 comments:

Ms. Wonson said...

The barbecue sauce recipe is AMAZING! I made a batch last night and can't wait to share it with friends at tonight's tailgate. Thanks for the inspiration!

a.feierman said...

Wonderfully delicious!! We made it and served it on BBQ chicken to some friends.

ninoZ said...

i'll definitely gonna try this one..
thanx ya...

errr...do you mind if i publish the recipe in my blog later on?