Thursday, May 29, 2008

Purple Potato Eater!

It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
A one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
Sure looks strange to me!


I can't help myself, the entire time we were making dinner on Memorial Day, I kept singing about the Flying, Purple, Potato Eater, because we had PURPLE potatoes!

Aren't they beautiful?


JRs definitely thought they looked strange, but I had seen a recipe for fork crushed purple potatoes on Smitten Kitchen that I thought was gorgeous. When I saw them at the grocery store, I had to get a couple.

Since it was Memorial Day, we did our civic duty and grilled (as if you could stop us). We had been wanted to try some grilled potatoes, so we used these. I cut them in half, rubber them with some olive oil and salt & pepper, and threw them on for 20 minutes.


They were nice and crunchy, and such a cool color when you cut into them. Next time I would add some grill seasoning for a little more flavor, but they were a neat summer way to do up some flying purple potatoes.


On a side note, my lettuce seemed to be bouncing back this morning. The mesclun and butter crunch are looking good. The red sails are a little more beat down, but they had most of the water so they might just need a little more drying out.

Since God laughed at me for thinking my lettuce was beautiful, I wanted to see if he would help me out this weekend. JR and I are hosting 13 people for a house warming party. The plan is to BBQ and hang out on the patio and the weather forecast is NOT looking good. If we could arrange for sun on Saturday, I am okay with rain the rest of next week!

No comments: